Overheating, and other musings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Overheating, and other musings
From: Michael Bayrock <mbrock@gov.nt.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 94 21:56:22 MDT
Good afternoon, all.

I was reading thru the comments on overheating Triumphs, and their
causes, and this reminded me of my own troubles with a GT6 some
years ago.

'Katie' would overheat at the drop of a hat.  I changed the water pump,
recored the radiator, replaced all the hoses, replaced the heater core
and water/heater control valve, and still the beast ran the guage into
the red.

One evening I noticed that both the fuel and temp guage were fluctuating
in synch - roughly in time with the average RPM.  I finally diagnosed the
problem to the guage's voltage stabilizer, located on the back end of the
speedometer.

I replaced this wonderful piece of Lucas engineering with a new unit,
and my overheating problems were cured.

On a different topic, I just want to add my appreciation to you folks on
the list.  'Katie' has been in storage for the past five years in my
in-law's garage 3000 miles away, while I try interesting career oportunities
in the Canadian subarctic.  Eventhough I can't get out with the top
down, I am really enjoying reading about your trials and tribulations
(and Triumphs).  It's (almost) like being there, and certainly is cheaper.

One last question - I have figured out most of the acronyms mean, except
for LBC.  Is this 'lousy british car'?

Thanks again.

Michael Bayrock
mbrock@inukshuk.gov.nt.ca