Overheating, Oil Coolers and thermostats

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Overheating, Oil Coolers and thermostats
From: Paul Rodenhuis <paulr@pwd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 16:56:35 +1000
In a previous issue ...
This does not answer your questions about fan size, etc.. but you may find
it to be helpful:

I have gone the electric fan route and did not find it to help all that
much (this on a Spitfire).  What did help, tremendously, was an oil cooler.
An oil cooler also worked wonders on a TR4A I used to have.  If the fan
doesn't get you running cooler, think seriously about installing an oil
cooler.

Good luck,
Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu

I tried sending this stuff before but it didn'tt make it ...

At the Historic meeting last September at Eastern Creek, I spoke to the
owner/driver of a very nice A.C. Ace, powered by a Zephyr 6.  For those who
don't know, I am preparing a Ford Mk II Zephyr for Historical (hysterical)
racing.  The AC creamed the field, including a Corvette.

I was keen to find out what mods had been made to the engine, trying
to get some ideas for mine.  The owner told me he had a VERY baffled
sump to prevent surge, but NO oil cooler.  When I asked why, he said,
'well the oil temp is the same as the water temp, and that runs normal.'

Makes sense to me.

On thermostats ... if they are working properly, the absense cannot make
the car run cooler.  It opens, the water goes through to the radiator.
What can prevent boiling is a higher pressure cap if the system can
stand it.  I used to have a HOT Mini (in more ways than one) that ran
a 13lb cap.  The BP for that is around 240F from memory.  I think
7lb gives 230F B.P.

On electric fans ...
I have been told that once over 40kph, the airflow through the radiator
purley from forward motion is more than a fan can push (or pull) through.

My thoughts, standing by for learned dissertations from Ph.D.s or
otherwise.

paulr