Re: TR7s and 8's (long)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR7s and 8's (long)
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 09 Jun 1994 09:23:18 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks,

Jim TenCate brought up an interesting point or two regarding TR7 longevity/
reliability issues on the TR8 mail list. This, in turn prompted me to
start a discussion on british-cars in a slightly different direction.

With due respect to the happy TR7 owners out there, it seems safe to say
that TR7s have their shortcomings. One of the aspects of this reputation is
the motor. We've all heard the problems due to overheating and head gasket
problems, not to mention the warped heads (see overheating.)

Now, other TR7 quality control issues aside, this illustrates that the TR7
has at least one area for potential improvement, the engine.

The response that some folks have to the motor situation is to replace the
4 banger with the venerable Rover 3.5 V8. A good choice, even British Leyland
was able to see it, so it must have been _obvious_.

However, some of us might not need the power of the 8 but would like to replace
the 4 banger with something a bit smoother and more reliable. I have seen
Buick V6's (including turbo versions) and other non-descript installations,
but I have yet to see a Triumph Sprint Dolomite engine in a TR7.

I know they exist, in fact I have spoken with a New England Triumph member that
has a _factory_ TR7 Dolomite Sprint. However I have still yet to see one.

My question (ta-dah!) is: Has anyone on the list ever seen a TR7 Dolomite Sprint
or can anyone shed light on the complexity of this conversion. I have seen
adds in various places for some folks that offer conversion "kits" for this
but have not seen any testimony as to the ease of conversion etc.

Also, does anyone have any production statistics regarding Dolomite Sprints?
By this I mean: 1. how many were manufactured 2. were there many variants?
3. are engine/transmission combinations readily available?

Yours in Discussion,
rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |