RE: Brake Tech Question Answered

To: British-Cars@Autox.team.net, wheeltowheel@abingdon.Eng.Sun.COM,
Subject: RE: Brake Tech Question Answered
From: Greg Meboe <MEBOE@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 13:27:04 PDT
   Wow, I got some good, informative answers to my question concerning
varying brake bias as a function of brake pressure.  The implied theory
behind the proposed design is that the braking needs at each axle (or corner
for that matter), are dictated by the percentage of weight that axle or corner
is carrying.  There is little sense having a huge bias if you're not braking
at 10/10ths all of the time.  It is theoretically important then, for braking
performance and pad life, to assign braking pressure according to axle or
corner weight.
   I wasn't thinking about autocrossing or pro-rally and the interesting role
that brakes play in these sports; here I'm just thinking about spirited (safe)
street driving.
   Several people mentioned that VW's and Audi's use a system that limits rear
pressure based on axle load.  I think I'll try to find some of these systems
to play with.  Maybe 4-way progressive bias wouldn't be completely
inconceiveable after all?
   I don't really want to go for ABS, at least not at this time.  Primarily
because I have little or no cash, but more theoretically because non-G-sensing
ABS systems (the ones that I could afford), don't assign brake pressure, they
just react to lockup.

              Thanks for the good suggestions.

              Greg Meboe   MEBOE@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
              Dept of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
              Washington State University