Re: Dolomite Sprints

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dolomite Sprints
From: searle@indigo.ucdavis.edu (Philip A. Searle)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 94 22:40:45 -0700
>Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU> asked:

>        does anyone have any production statistics regarding Dolomite Sprints?
>        By this I mean: 1. how many were manufactured 2. were there many
>variants?
>        3. are engine/transmission combinations readily available?
>
>Paul Garside replied:

.....(Stuff Deleted)
> It may have been taken out to 2 litres before or after the Sprint head was
>fitted.

Yes. The 16V head was only used on a 2 litre block, which is different than
the TR7
2 litre block.  The 1850 was only used on the Dolomite 1850 (and S**BS).

>The Sprint head I believe was SOHC, with rockers for some of the valves, a la
>H*nd*.

Yes. SOHC operating the inlet (or exhaust?) valves directly and the exhaust
(or inlet?)
 valves via rockers.
The heads are great to look at, angled head studs excepted.
It won a Britsh industry design award when introduced.

>The standard carburetion I think was twin Str*mb@#gs, beloved by Triumph.

Actually twin SU HS6s on a long tract inlet manifold.

>with 4-speed manual.

Same as TR4-6, Triumph 2000-2500PI, different ratios.
Overdrive became stardard fitment too, after a while.

>Everyone expected the heads to .... the TR7, but no,

The TR7 sprint was rallied quite extensively before the V8 could be homologated.
Several production cars do exist, I seem to remember reading somewhere that
the number was at least 20? I saw several advertised  for sale in the UK.

>There should be lots of them in breaker's yards over here - I don't know how
>they would fit into a TR7 - the engine may be taller.

They do fit. For an excellent description of how, I would recomend the
TriumphTune
catalog (Richmond Surrey, UK.). They sell the few extra parts required: exhaust
manifolds and system etc. They will also sell you a TR7 'Sprint' stripe set
in silver,
gold or black, as fitted to the production cars.

Phil Searle
'63 TR4
'76 Spitfire 1500