Dolly Sprints

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Dolly Sprints
From: Simon.Matthews@tiuk.ti.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 09:33:16 BST
I am esurprised not to see any mention that the Dolly sprint engine had 16
valves! Common now, but not in the early '70s. As Paul stated correctly, it had
a SOHC, driving one set of valves and rockers to drive the others. I believe the
engine was 2 litres.

The engine was well known for overheating and warping the head!

The car did a standing 1/4 mile in times that are better than most 'hot'
2-litreproduction cars today -- about 16.5 secs (if my memeory is correct).

I think there was only one version.

There was a billiant piece of engineering with the Alternator: in order to
remove the very long bolt that went through both mounts/pivots, one had to
move the radiator. On refitting it, however, the problem was eliminated by
fitting the bolt from the other end -- now why didn't the factory figure
that one out?

Regards,
     Simon Matthews