Ordering Parts from England (was Re: MGB Shocks)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Ordering Parts from England (was Re: MGB Shocks)
From: "Alan Legerlotz .OSI Applications. dtn 226-5744" <legerlotz@smaug.enet.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 10:01:12 EDT
>>I must disagree....it is worth shipping the parts across the ocean. It may
>cost
>>double in shipping costs, but you will still save a bundle of cash. I've said
>>many times before on the list that the prices charged by places in the US are
>>ridiculous. Recent examples from the list include:
>>1) rebuilt tranny for GT6 UK: $390  Viccy Brit: $999
>>2) totally rebuilt carbs for Midget (my car) UK: $170 US:$350
>>3) Various body panels for the Midget were 1/3 the price in the Uk as compared
>>to US prices.
>>
>>I now actively avoid buying parts (other tahn tune up and filter type stuff)
>>from the blood sucking US companies. I'd rather wait a week extra and
>>repatriate some of cash to the UK (hell, the poor buggers need all the help
>>they can get, the main reason why I came over here, heh heh)

The deals you illustrate are good ones.  I think, however that they're the
exception and not the norm.  You WILL see savings by buying from England.  You
need, however to add about 1/3 up front for the price of shipping to see if you
will actually save much money.

You can then gauge that against the extra time it takes to get the items.  I'm
not sure if there is "duty" involved.  I'm waiting for a shipment from Brown and
Gammons.  I didn't save much money, but they had specific parts that are
unavailable from all US suppliers I've contacted.

-Al