best tools in the LBC garage applied to the space program

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: best tools in the LBC garage applied to the space program
From: sands@kaleida.com (Michael Sands)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 16:22:35 PDT
Some time ago, one of you posted a list of nice tools to use while
maintaining your LBC.  I took a bit of literary license, and sent it as a
spoof to my mechanical engineer wife.  She is working on a satellite
package, GPB (Gravity Probe B), that will hopefully measure deviations from
Newtonian physics as predicted by Einstein.  Needless to say, tolerances
are more exact than found in our cars.  Her response is attached, and I
apologize for lack of LBC content.  It would be nice to say she helps
maintain the Seven with her finely honed engineering skills but she shows
little interest beyond loving to drive it.

Michael

                THE TEN BEST TOOLS FOR GPB
                By Michael Sands

1.  Duct Tape:  Adhesive is a contaminant.  In cryo temps is particulates.

2.  Vice-Grips:  We can only use non-magnetic ones - which means
Beryllium-Copper and those don't always work well under force.

3. Spray Lubricants:  It's the container we worry about, it's magnetic and when
you spray this stuff on, there is no 'guarentee' that some magnetic particles
won't come out also.

4. Margarine Tubs With Clear Lids: This is great except according to our QE, we
aren't supposed to have any spare parts around.

5. Big Rock At The Side Of The Road: Particles, particles, particles.

6., Plastic Zip Ties: Actually, we use these all the time.

7. Ridiculously Large Standard Screwdriver With Lifetime Guarantee:
Hmmm, we have to make our own screwdrivers (Be Cu) and they don't come with a
lifetime guarantee.

8.  Bailing Wire:  Unfortunately, this is usually steel or CRES, a no-no!

9.  Bonking Stick: Sounds good but I can't think of a use for it.

10. A Quarter and a Phone Booth:  Quarters are magnetic and there is no phone
in the cleanroom.

Lynne

Michael Sands                                   Kaleida Labs
(415) 966-0711                                  sands@kaleida.com