how to cool a Mini.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: how to cool a Mini.
From: kleihors@prl.philips.nl
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 15:17:50 METDST
Dear SOLers,

One of my favourite LBCs to drive to work is "Zoomy",
our '78 Mini 850. It is very reliable and it seems that
we both share a lot of smiles if I see the little thing
down in the parking lot or better, if we share the road.

I noticed a curious cooling phenonema last night when I
drove home that I would like to share. Usually, the Smiths
temp needle is fixed on the N on warm days on the highway.
Only, if I open the driver window for an inch or so, the
needle drops below the N within a number of seconds. If I
close the window it sets on the N again.

I can only imagine that it has something to do with the
airflow profile of the car. But nevertheless, I like
the way the little car cools down with the driver on those
warm days.
--

    Richard P. Kleihorst,
    Philips Research Laboratories, The Netherlands.