MGB front wheel bearings.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB front wheel bearings.
From: rck@fangio.asd.sgi.com (Robert Keller)
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 12:55:11 -0700
Two weekends ago I adjusted the endplay of my 64 MGB's front wheel
bearings.  I originally decided to inspect them because at ~65+ mph
there was a long time small vibration from the right front wheel.
Upon inspection, the endplay on the right wheel was ~3 times that
on the left.

I adjusted the endplay so that when firmly grasping the suspended
tyre at six and twelve o'clock I could feel only a very small amount
of play when pushing with alternating hands.  Listening very carefully,
I could hear only a very muffled thud when rocking the tyre to and fro.

Life was good. The vibration was gone, but then...

Today, upon hearing peculiar (by not deathly) noises from that corner
of the car I pulled to side of the road, jacked it up, removed the
wheel, removed the grease cap, and found a paste of grease and metal.

The bearings had been originally installed only about a year ago.

I assume my endplay adjustment was at fault, although the left side
wheel bearing which was adjusted in the same way is fine.

Over the past ten years I've installed MGB front wheel bearings a
few times, and not had any problems.  Although, I've always been a bit
seat of the pants with the endplay.

Are the any Master's tricks to MGB front wheel bearings?

How much endplay is too little?  How much endplay is too much?

Is this tricky enough that Sedgewick @ Random British Car Garage needs
to be called?

thanks for any tips!

...robert