Re: MGB Electronic Ignition

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Electronic Ignition
From: Pschauss@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 20:47:02 EDT
>>with an ohm meter, I've narrowed the absence of any spark to the
after-market
>>retrofitted electronic ignition. The LED/sensor in the distributor shows
>>narry
>>a glimmer (unless it's infrared or something I'm unfamiliar with) and the
>>output volatages read well below 12v.  I'm relatively new to electronic
>>ignitions, particularly retro-fits. Does anyone out there have any tips
>>on the best replacement make/model to purchase? Best source? Tuning tips?

The current version of the Crane-Allison ( formerly Allison ) system uses an
infrared light source.  The recommended method for debugging it is to
remove the center wire from the distributor cap and tape it
to a location where the end is about 1/4 inch or so from a good
ground on the block.  If everything is working, you should see a
spark when you turn the engine over.

If you do not get a spark, you can determine if the problem is in the
optical trigger or the amplifier.  Disconnect the cable which runs
from the distributor to the amplifier.  Then, with the ignition turned on,
rapidly tap a screw driver blade between the white and clear wires
on the connector (amplifier end).  If you get no spark, the amplifier
is at fault.

The above assumes that you have checked for voltage where
the amplifier connects to the + and - terminals of the coil and that
the amplifier is properly grounded.

If you unit is a Crane-Allison (or Allison), you can call them at
904-258-9055.  These units are supposed to have a lifetime
guaranty (I am not sure whose lifetime) so if your system is
at fault you may be able to get a replacement from them.

BTW.  The first unit I tried to install on my 1980 MGB was
dead on arrival.  The car is still taking me to work every day
on the original Lucas system after I fixed the broken wire
in the distributor.

The replacement Crane-Allison unit which Moss sent me
is still sitting in the box while I wait for a suitable weekend
to install it (or for the Lucas system to fail, which ever comes
first).  (And the impatiens plants which were in my trunk
the day that the Lucas system failed are doing quite well.)

Peter Schauss
1980 MGB
email:  pschauss@aol.com