Oil Pressure Drop

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Pressure Drop
From: Thomas.Jell@zfe.siemens.de (Thomas Jell)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 94 14:27:48 +0200
Hi folks,

I need some advice at what to look first.

After 1 hour of 100mph on the Autobahn last weekend my oil pressure ended up at
almost nothing (1kg/cm2 = 10 lb/in2) when running idle.

The facts. The eninge was rebuilt something like 6.000 and 3 years miles ago
(so long before I got the car).

Normaly I got pressures of

  3kg/cm2       cold oil and/or rpm over idle
  2.5kg/cm2     cold oil and idle
  2.0kg/cm2     hot oil and idle

Now I have
  2.5           cold oil and rpm over idle
  2.0           hot oil and  rpm over idle
  1.0           hot oil and idle

that's definitly not very much. But I got all the way back without the engine
falling apart ...

I would like some advice at which I should look first. And which pressures have
other V8s.

  1. pressure gauge (don't trust that thing, that's easy to check)
  2. ???

thanks for your help

  Tom

Thomas Jell                       |  '79 Spitfire (running, running, ...)
Siemens AG, Corporate R&D         |  '74 STAG     (running ???)
ZFE BT SE 41                      |  '63 TR 4     (being rebuilt)
Otto Hahn Ring 6                  |
81730 Muenchen                    |
E-mail : jell@km21.zfe.siemens.de |
Tel : +49 89 636 47405            |
Fax : +49 89 636 40757            |  +++ Long live MESA +++