Re: Pulling spitfire hub

To: rfl@yerkes.uchicago.edu
Subject: Re: Pulling spitfire hub
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 94 12:09:28 CDT
   > He needs to take out the rear axels and therefore needs to pull
   > the hub. His  workshop manual says he needs a special tool for this.

If he just needs to remove the axles, he does not need to remove the hub
from the axle.  What he does need to do is disconnect the carrier for
the hub which is held in place at three points: the spring, the trailing
arm, and the shock absorber.  When these three things are removed, the
outside end of the axle will be free (oh, forgot the parking brake
cable, and brake hose...) and he just has to undo the four bolts holding
the u-joint flange to the diff.

If the hub does have to be removed (to replace bearings for instance), a
special tool is the way to go.  If he tries to use a BIG gear puller, he
may bend the hub and still not get it apart.  Or he might break his gear
puller.  Those suckers are hard to get apart!

This reminds me, I've seen an ad for an outfit in North Carolina that's
selling Spitfire rear axles rebuilt with some sort of needle bearing
setup.  Does anyone have any experience with these things or know
someone who does?

Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu