Whither HIF-6?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Whither HIF-6?
From: Charles Edwards <cedwards@pinn.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 11:17:51 -0500 (EST)
Dave L. asked what cars came originally with the HIF-6 carburetor.  I had
a 1972 Volvo 144 from which I removed the HIF-6s and installed a down
draught Weber.  I have long since sold the car but I still have the HIF-6s.
        The HIF series SU had a heat-sensitive jet positioner which
leaned the mixture when the engine was at operating temperature in order
to reduce hydrocarbon emissions.  Because there is an additional device
moving around inside the HIF series the mixture and idle speed are not as
"set" as it is with the HS series.
        I had H-6s on a TR4 which I had new in 1963.  Those carburetors
were sturdy but had a tendency to leak around the cork packing atop the
needle positioning nut.
        All-in-all, the HS is the best series, in my opinion.

Charles E. Edwards, CPA
Virginia Beach, VA
cedwards@pinn.net