Re: TR6 Carbs - Idle Problems (John Clerici)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Carbs - Idle Problems (John Clerici)
From: John Clerici <jmcleric@gibbs.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 10:58:33 -0400 (EDT)
My misfortune maybe your good fortune. As I returned home from having the
exact problem on my 75 TR6 fixed, I find Ian Macky's inquiry...

I also ripped my hair out trying to get my idle down on a newly rebuilt
engine with newly rebuilt Strombergs. I went so far as to switch
distributors and replace all vacuum hoses - to no avail ! I finally gave
up and brought it to a local british car shop recommended to me by a friend.

The problem, as was hinted at in the Robert Bentley Shop Manual, was the
Deceleration By-Pass valve on the Carbs. Even though these valves were
replaced when the carbs were rebuilt, they were stuck wide open - hence
1500 idle !! My mechanic said he has never scene the blasted things work
correctly in nearly 20 years of Triumph work. To fix the problem, he
somehow blocked them off and the car now runs and idles perfectly and is
even within emision specs ! The Shop is British Motors in Durham, N.C.
They very competent and honest, though a tad pricy. But twice they have
been my "when all else fails" relief and twice have come through.

I hope this is your problem (its seems pretty simple to cure) GOOD LUCK !

John Clerici
Chapel Hill, NC
jmcleric@gibbs.oit.unc.edu