NHIS Vintage Celebration

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: NHIS Vintage Celebration
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 05 Jul 1994 14:08:40 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

This weekend, my wife and I along with one of our TR6 friends headed up to
New Hampshire International Speedway to see the "Vintage Celebration". In
short, the event is different from other Vintage type events that we've
been to because about half of the "races" are older motorcycles. There
were some old British bikes, Nortons and Triumphs.

As for cars, there were a bunch of neat British cars (lbcs, LBCs and
everything in between.) Some were rather unique, but it was enjoyable to
watch.

Among the special British iron was a D-type Jaguar. The follow driving the
car was a liitle too agressive, he spun on turn one of lap one, then spun
again on turn 5 (I think) coming down the hill to the hairpin. He later
dropped out of the race. I have to admit that the car sounded very sweet
indeed. The "winner" of that particular race was a very nice XK120 that
was being driven very hard...4 wheel drifts and everything, the driver was
quite fast (and smooth).

There were a couple of cars that I couldn't identify. One looked like a
smaller version of a TVR 2500 M. It sounded like the motor was a very
small (maybe less than 1000cc's) and it was real cute. There was also a
rebodied TR3, the body being a fiberglass unit that is called a Topo
something or other. The body looks like an older Maserati, nice lines.
I have seen the car at static car events before, I know I saw it at Stowe,
VT in 1992. This particular car retired after 10 laps or so with a bent left
rear wheel or axle.

There were some really nice old Lotii, a couple of 11's and a 6, a couple of
7's. And of course there were some Elvas and I believe there was an Allard
too. There were also three AH's, a 100-6 and 2 3000's, not sure which Mk.
Finally, there was a nice MGA and a couple of MG Midgets.

I was about to leave when I spotted an interesting polished aluminium
car behind the stands. I went over to look at it, it was a Dellow! I know
there aren't many of those, as the Dellow register stated that there are
only 400 or so ever made. The fellow was a nice chap, and he told me that
his is the last one ever made. Neat car.

Then as I was getting in my car, there was a chap admiring it. I talked to
him briefly, and by coincidence he was from Manchester, England. He came to
the vintage race to see some old American racers, and he was dissapointed that
there were mostly British cars! It was kind of a funny moment.

Then I heard the sound of a TR4 blasting by, and I got out of the car on more
time to get some video of a 4 going by at full throttle. Ah!

Now I want to build a Vintage TR6.

Yours in dreamland.
rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |