Spitfire bumper over/underriders

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire bumper over/underriders
From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 94 19:18:18 EDT
Dear fellow SOLs,

I am in the process of converting my Spit 1500 from
the rubber-baby-buggy-bumper-ENORMOUS-underridered
version to the chrome-bumpered-modestly-sized-underridered
version.

As with many updates, Triumph kept welding stuff ONTO the
frame as changes were made over the years, rather than
changing stamped body or frame parts already on the car.
As a result, the metal structure that supports the old,
modestly-sized underrider has big honking stampings welded
to it to support the energy - absorbing stuff behind the black
rubber baby buggy bumper.

I am trying to find out what parts to cut off, and also where
to cut, in order to be able to install the modestly-sized
underriders.

Has anyone done this?

As an incentive, if I get some response soon, I will regale the
group with an account of my experiences in several of the motor
museums in Scotland, during a recent vacation.  (I'll do it
anyway, I guess. :)).

        Tim