1980 Spitfire distributor woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 1980 Spitfire distributor woes
From: DanMac@world.std.com
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 1994 21:21:24 -0400
 hi all. Hope someone can help me witha few somewhat novice quesitons.
I've exhausted my resources (Haynes & Bentley manuals), and have nowhere
else to turn (except to a garage!).
 I have a 1980 Spitfire that for some reason had been retrofitted with
an AC Delco (points-type) distributor. The car did run OK, but I've always
wanted to install the electronic ignition that the car is supposed to have.
Anyway, the distributor recently failed, and I picked up a used Lucas
45DE4, and a new NewTronics electronic ignition box. The installation
of the box went great, but I am unsure of a number of issues regarding
installing the distributor.

1. When the Lucas distributor is installed, should the vacuum advance
be on the firewall side, or the radiator side of the distributor? The
drive dogs seem to allow it to be put in either way .. (am I mistaken?)

2. I understand how to line up the pully notch with the TDC timing mark,
but both manuals say I need to have the #1 piston at TDC. How can I check
this?

3. Can anyone suggest a good way to turn the crankshaft manually? Turning
the nut on my alternator just causes the fanbelt to slip, and it can't
be "pulled back" anymore to tighted the belt. Maybe I need a new fanbelt
also?

 Thanks for any help or hints. I've done a lot of work on this car, and
it's killing me not to be able to drive it in this weather ... (this is
the last thing to do before I register it!).

-Dan
(DanMac@World.std.com)