Mini's in Smog

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: Mini's in Smog
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 19:50:47 EDT
Interested to see the comments made to Don regarding his hope of bringing
a Canadian Mini into the US.  Seems a shame that one of the most
charismatic cars of all time is banned there!  I have a 79 Mini which is
my favoured summer transport around town (longer distances are reserved
for my Wolseley 6/110)

Two comments:  The later mini's were fitted with smog pumps, but I'm sure
your respondent was right, it will never satisfy Californian standards.
(Though, mind you, BMW chairman has said they are designing a lead-free
engine for the continuing minis which will satisfy all European standards).

At the Mini Meet East last year, there were a considerable number of late
model minis registered in the USA, so it must be doable.  Though I didn't
check what their registration papers said!!!

Cheers,
Andrew
                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: andrew@uwindsor.ca