Regulating a Changed Polarity Car

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: Regulating a Changed Polarity Car
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 10:36:32 EDT
My lbc (definitely as large Brit cruiser) is a 1968 Wolseley 6/110 whose
C series BMC 3litre engine was set up for positive earth.  I successfully
changed this to negative earth (only having to replace the clock) but
have found that the voltage regulator is somewhat erratic.  This is the
standard volt reg of the period.

On initial starts, even after previous long runs, the ammeter shows
about plus 20, which does eventually settle down to about plus 4.

I wondered if anyone else who has switched polarity has experienced any
problems?  I read somewhere that the problem with changing polarity is
that the regulator was wound for positive earth, and hence the reversed
polarity dramatically shortens their life.  Is this true?

Thanks for the help.

Andrew
Andrew Templer     Answerphone: 519-253-4232     Ext 3159
                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: andrew@uwindsor.ca