Re: MGB engine identification

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB engine identification
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 23:11:48 -0400 (EDT)

>I'm trying to verify that I have a 5-main engine.  Is there any way,
>other than the engine tag, to tell without dropping the pan?
>
>The engine number is kinda wierd: 18G (followed by something that looks
>like a D, guess it could be the bottom half of a B) -WE-H 20791.

There are differences in the some of the external stuff, But there is nothing
to prevent some PO from changing these components.
>From the Seven Enterprises catalog, and bit from memory:

                        3 main                 5 main

Block drain          "faucet" tap              bolt
Clutch disc           10 spline                23 spline
pilot bearing          0.5"                     1.0"
Flywheel attaching     studs and nuts           bolts
Water pump              ???                      ???
The oil pump is also different. But who's going to pull the pan to check the
pump and not count main caps? :>

 The three main motors were tagged 18G and 18GA. 18GB through 18GK and 18V
were all five main.

 Oh, *maybe* one thing to check. I know that all five main blocks had
two pairs of mounting bosses for the rear generator/alternator bracket.
The three mains *may* not have had the alternator holes, the forward pair.

  Randy