By the Book ?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: By the Book ?
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 10:17:22 -0400 (EDT)
Here's a possible way to get flamed !  I was working on the TR3 timing
last night and trying to do it by the book for once. You know what? It
ran like a piece of s^*t. I then removed my lovely SUN timing equipment,
and just loosened off the distributor. Fired up then engine and turned
the dizzy until I got a nice even idle with a sound I liked. Bolted
everything back down and the beast runs like a clock.

So, my question/comment is: How relevant are the specs on a thirt year
old engine really? The carbs are rebuilt, the inards of the dizzy are all
new, but think of the wear on the rockers, cam, crank, who knows where else.
IMHO the specs are a rough guide only.

What do you think netland. How many of of you tune by ear and smell and
exhuast colour?