Overdrive Question

To: BRITISH-CARS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Overdrive Question
From: "Colin Brace (617)726-5085" <BRACEC@A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 12:22:00 -0500 (EST)
          Thanks for the MGB Overdrive info. A few questions:

          Would my (1974 tourer) already have the necessary wiring harness
          for the overdrive? This is something like a $17.00 item in the
          catalogs, so no big deal here. I realize I have the switch
          contained in the wiper switch.

          Victoria British lists a '68-'71 (I think) O/D transmission, a
          '72-'76 and '77-up under rebuilt units. Now this is not the case
          in the Moss catalog, they simply list one 4 synchro box. What
          gives? I was always under the impression all 4 synchro boxes were
          the same. Unfortunately I don't have the Victoria British catalog
          in front of me, so those model-year demarcations are from my
          fuzzy memory, but I seem to rember the only difference I could
          spot, in the indivudial part # listings of the transmission
          parts, was the speedo gear & associated shaft on the tranny.

          And, is there any way I can check one out that's out of the car
          i.e. at a meet/junkyard/whatever, what can I look for to be
          reasonably sure it's functional?

          Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks for the help so
          far!

          On another tangent - count me in for a British Car "cruise
          night"/Drive In/whatever (for lack of a better term) in the
          Middlesex County area. Hey, even just meeting at some ice cream
          stand somewhere like the rodders do would be great (I have a few
          suggestions!). Let's start a tradition!

          Colin Brace WA1KWA

          bracec@a1.mgh.harvard.edu

          74 MGB