Re: How I spent my summer vacation

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, jag-lovers@psy.uwa.edu.au
Subject: Re: How I spent my summer vacation
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 13:14:16 EDT
Pat Krejcik writes:

>>My '66 XKE has shown high oil consumption on long, high speed trips,
>>but I don't have exact numbers to compare with yours. The farthest
>>afield I have been is San Francisco to Yosemite and SF to Big Sur.
>>Your plugs do seem to indicate a problem as they should be
>>ash brown after this kind of driving. The black carbon sounds
>>like oil in view of the fuel consumption you quoted which
>>doesn't indicate a too rich mixture.

I guess I don't really know.  I thought an oil fouled plug would be greasy
and shinny.  On the other hand, I am surprised that they were carbonized
after several hours of highway driving.  I thought that was what you did to
blow that stuff out.  Yes/No?  Mine are not overly carbonized but the
deposits are deffinately dry.  There is no obvious blue tint to the exhaust
smoke, and (for what its worth), it doesn't smell 'oily' to me.  In your
trips with the higher consumption, what was the cause?  Burning?  Blowing
out somewhere?

>>For interest, what compression do you read on your cylinders?

I haven't had that checked since I bought it (about 2 years & 4000 miles
ago, for what its worth), but at the time is was pretty even at 150 on all six.

>>Also, are you sure you didn't overfill with oil, is your dipstick
>>calibrated?

That actually is a possibility.  The stick is calibrated but I did the
checking under poor lighting conditions on one occasion and may have
overfilled it.  Is it possible that there was blow out with the over
filling?  I see no evidence of it, say, at the dip-stick port.

>>By the way, British Auto USA has a nice reproduction tool roll
>>thats not outrageously expensive. Thats where I got mine.

I should have said that the tools that were stolen were not the tool roll.
It was a set of sockets, wrenches, etc. that I bought myself.  So, not
cheep, but not the jag tool roll either.  It was safe at home.

Many thanks, Pat.  I'd be interested to hear any additional advice/comments.

Will