Spit steering wierdness. Some rambling suggestions.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit steering wierdness. Some rambling suggestions.
From: bryan@roborough.gpsemi.COM (Duncan Bryan)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 13:30:51 BST
Michael,

        I know you've got new tyres and had them balanced...
but your problem could still be wheel balance!

        What type of wheels does your spit have?  If they are the
usual UK type ( with one large ahem... wingnut ... holding them on) then
they might not have been balanced properly.

        I remember a few years back someone complaining
about a similar problem.  What had happened was that when the tyre fitters
balanced the wheels they actually balanced the wheels with the
inner face of the wheel against the flat face of the balance
machine.

        Now I might be mistaken, but wheels of your type
should be balanced using the OUTER face, not the inner face
of the wheel.  You might think "what's the difference"
I can't remember all the details, or even why.

        Did the problem start immediately after the new tyres, or was
it there before? If it is a new problem then look to your wheels. If it's
an old problem then think again.

        One other suggestion. Try grabbing your steering wheel and moving it up
and down, left and right. Your steering wheel bush may be bushed.

        There is always the possibility that your new tyres are duff.

Good luck.

Duncan.

    _/_/_/_/    _/_/_/_/    _/_/_/_/    E-Mail : bryan@roborough.gpsemi.com
   _/          _/    _/    _/           Address: GPS, Tamerton Road, Roborough
  _/  _/_/    _/_/_/_/    _/_/_/_/               Plymouth, PL6 7BQ, England, UK
 _/    _/    _/                _/       Phone  : +44 752 693431
_/_/_/_/    _/          _/_/_/_/        Fax    : +44 752 693306