Flywheel Ring Gear

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Flywheel Ring Gear
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 08:54:05 MDT
Dick wrote:

 > I didn't read the previous posting so it's not clear why you might need
 > Loktite on a ring gear. Once properly installed they usually stay put.

I was the original poster, and the reason I was asking about locktite,
was that I was "thinking" (scary, I know) about using the old ring
gear.  I would press it back on to its proper place, and then secure
it somehow.  After thinking about the chance of pulling this puppy out
again, I've decide to order a new ring gear.  ($45) I figured I would
have spent close to that in locktite.  :-) The place I had my starter
work done (Vanatta, great place in Boulder) said that once the old
ring gear has slipped, it's stretched and would eventually slip again,
or spin on the flywheel.  They said that it's pretty funny when the
ring gear spins without turning over the engine.  After hearing that,
I ordered the new ring gear, and decided to fix it right.  I guess
putting a new ring gear on every 20 years isn't so bad...

Greg wrote:

 >   This job is really easy.  Remember, you can get added life out of a
 > ring gear whose teeth are mostly worn out by rotating the ring gear with
 > respect to the flywheel, 90 degrees for a 4-cyl, 60 deg for a 6-cyl.

How can this be?  The starter engages the flywheel where ever the
engine stops.  Can you describe what you mean?  Also, I found a
machine shop that will pull the old ring gear off and put the new one
on for $12.50.  I was afraid to risk that little money by me putting
my ring gear on crooked.  I've heard that they just don't last if you
have to do it twice.

Waiting for UPS to arrive,

-Scotty