67 MGB - Jammed Starter Replys

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 67 MGB - Jammed Starter Replys
From: wcwagner@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Bill Wagner Jr.)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 09:44:53 -0500
    Thanks to Bob, Dan, and Philippe for their responses about the jammed
starter problem.  My buddy had tried turning the square shaft to no avail.
He hadn't tried the rocking method or the large screw driver on the
starter pinion.  I'll let y'all know which one finally frees it up.
      Thanks again, Bill Wagner.

From: rfl@yerkes.uchicago.edu (Bob Loewenstein)

This will happen every so often. I usually do what your friends
suggest and it works. Sometimes  you might have to rock it
back and forth in 4th gear.

If your starter jams alot, then you might have to take the bendix
mechanism apart and clean it. Be careful on the relubrication, though..
use low temperature grease or (even better) graphite. If your
winters are like ours, and you have a weak bendix spring, the
lube will prevent the gear from sliding easily.

From: bourland@roentgen.mayo.EDU (Dan Bourland)

Yep - 4th gear and rocking always worked for me ('64 B).  Also, someone
told me that the starter axle has a square shaft at the end that an
open wrench can be put on and just turned in the correct direction.

From: TUSLER@MP050.MV-OC.unisys.com (Philippe Tusler)

  This is a phenomenon that is typical with MG's because of the inertial
engagement mechanism of the starters.  As the starter pinion wears, or
as the ring gear wears, or both, there is enough play for them to jam
together.  The rocking back and forth usually works.  When it doesn't,
you need to get the biggest screwdriver made, take your knockoff
mallet, crawl under the car, and tap on the starter pinion until
you can get it to disengage.
  The message is: it's time to replace the starter, the ring gear,
or both!  Usually the ring gear is chewed...  may as well do the
clutch while you've got the engine out!

Bill Wagner Jr.        |'67 Healey 3000 MK III | wcwagner@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois |'93 Mitsu Eclipse (DS) | PHONE:  217 244 4136
CCSO Communications    |                       | FAX  :  217 333 9758
302 E John, Suite 1608 -------------------------
Champaign, IL  61820      These are my opinions and my opinions only!!!!!!