TR International Weekend + TR6 head

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR International Weekend + TR6 head
From: paulg@mansun.lut.ac.uk (paul gilders rs)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 94 09:35:51 BST
Hi folks,

        Well I've not contributed much to the list for a while now,
but have recently had my enthusiasm re-kindled after visiting the TR
International Weekend at Stafford (UK). Sometimes these events can
completely depress you - what with the lines and lines of beautifully
prepared vehicles, spotlessly clean and full of new componentry - but
this time I came away with renewed enthusiasm to keep what I've got and
be happy with it... and maybe one day it'll be as good as the best
(who am I kidding).

        Anyway, despite this event being purely TRs, I also managed to
pick up some useful components for my midget - not least a couple of
brake/clutch master cylinders for a mere 12 pounds. My best find must
surely have been a RHD TR6 steering rack which offers me the possibility
of converting my machine from LHD - still not sure whether to go ahead
with this...

        Anyway, I have a couple of questions for you TR6 gurus. I
think I'm going to have to take my head off at some time in the near
future and replace some valves/guides. Whilst carrying out this
activity, I would also be interested in increasing the compression of
the engine (US spec) - possibly up to 10:1. I realise that I will have
to assess the condition of the other engine components as well, but
I'm really concerned as to what I might need to do. I think I am right
in saying that the compression can be increased merely by shaving the
head and not by shaving the block - is this correct and if so, does
anybody have any figures as to how much I would have to take off? (I
suppose I should really be able to figure this out knowing bore
diameter, but if someone has done it, maybe they could give me some
approximate idea). The other alternative might be to get hold of a
Triumph 2500 head and recondition it ready for a straight
substitution. Does anybody know if the 2500 and TR6 heads are
compatible in terms of valve sizes and chamber shapes etc.

        If anybody has any other information and experience on upgrading the
standard US spec engine (without fitting the PI system) I would be
interested in hearing from you. I have a good friend who is trying to
persuade me to fit triple SUs - anybody tried this?

        Thanks for any info.

        Cheers,

        Paul.