Exhaust manifold, etc

To: b-c
Subject: Exhaust manifold, etc
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 09:23:20 -0500
Tales Of The GT6+ continue...

Driving to my farm a couple of days ago I bottomed out on the rock road
and suddenly the GT6+ got REAL loud. I figured I had dislocated an
exhaust pipe or something. But the sound seemed to be coming from very
near the engine...

Upon examination, I found that the manifold itself had broken into two
pieces! The bottom portion was still bolted to the exhaust pipe, and
there was a jagged break a little farther up.

Now, a question: Should I spring for a new $200 manifold, or would a
used one be OK? My exhaust pipe has already been replaced, since it had
gotten so thin that you could crush it with one hand. I figure that my
manifold had gotten thinner, too. So I'm thinking about putting a new one
on, so I'd get at least another 25 years of use...

I hate sitting here are work instead of being at the VTR in Asheville,
but we're leaving Sunday on a 2-week family vacation out west, so something
had to give. Oh well, the next one's real close to home!

All British Car Days in St. Louis is September 10, run by the MG club this
year, instead of the Healey club, who has done it in the past. There was
a bit of a flap over which day to have the show. It has always been on
Sunday, but is on a Saturday this year. I, for one, appreciate that since
I have church duties on Sunday. For once, something worked out right!

Larry
lesnyd@monsanto.com