RE- Gaskets

To: "Bill Yarborough" <blyarb@cs1.presby.edu>
Subject: RE- Gaskets
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 17 Aug 1994 09:00:32 U
   RE:  Gaskets

Bill Yarborough asks:

> The head gasket is copper and the others are paper or cork
> (some of each).  What (if anything) should they be coated
> with?  (BTW, it's a TR3 engine, if that matters.)

Here's my half-dime's worth --  I've done a couple of engines
and am rebuilding another one right now.  I use Permatex Red
gasket sealer.  Some people use the blue variety, and I believe
it should work just fine.  I use the red stuff because it "looks"
more like what I used years ago, when it seems the only choices
were Permatex #1 or Permatex #2.  One variety hardened, the other
did not.

I think both the Permatex Red and Blue gasket sealers are silicone
based materials.  I coat both sides of the gasket, or apply it to
the engine part, put on the gasket and then coat the other side.

I've never put gasket sealer on head or exhaust manifold gaskets,
but I yield to anyone else with greater knowledge (which includes
just about everyone on the planet most days!).