Re: Balancing Engines and Other rebuild duties- follow -up to 1275/1500

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Balancing Engines and Other rebuild duties- follow -up to 1275/1500 rebuild
From: mws1@admin01.osi.COM (Matt Silveira x257)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 94 06:26:42 PDT
I have balanced both BMC "B" series engines I owned and they rev'ed up
to approx 5600 RPM with no issue.  Balancing involves *MUCH* more than
just "knocking" off metal at the counter weights if it is done
professionally.  Typically, all rotating mass (flywheel, crank, rods,
pistons, balancer (for lower rotating mass)) is done.  Balancing
engines, like tires, can be done statically or dynamically.  But
typically, no engine from the manufacturer is balanced very well.  A
good engine builder with a good balancing machine (i.e Stewart Warner)
can set you up a strong running engine that won't shake it self to bits
or throw a rod through the side of the block.

Incidentally, I *strongly* recommend the following:

Paint the inside of the block with armature paint or equivalent
(increases oil flow down and seals off the raw casting after a hot
tank.)

Remove all the flash and excess trash from the rods and other parts
(radiusing).

Shot peen all rods, etc.

Insert bronze/silicon valve guides in a magnafluxed head.

Oh, I forgot,

Magnaflux *everything* religiously.  Especially the head.

Sincerely,

Matt Silveira
System Engineer
OSI
matt@osi.com
"Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer."

Thought for the week:

Oops.  My brain just hit a bad sector.