Re: Denmark

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Denmark
From: TR7Driver@aol.com
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 94 00:21:39 EDT
Hi,

I must protest the maligning of the Triumph TR-7!!  While some were simply
horrid, this is not the case with all of them.  And the car does seem to meet
your criteria (easy to use top, small engine, etc.)

The earlier models with their poorly designed cooling system and the four
speed gearbox are certainly to be avoided.  These were all coupes anyway.  As
near as I know all convertibles were with the five speed shift or an
automatic transmission.

The only real problems are with the headlamp mechanisms and the Lucas
electronic ignition.  The ones equipped with the French made AC-Delco
electronic ignition are fine.  The electric lamp lifters are a nuisance when
they fail but are easy enough to repair.  The relays, which are mounted
behind a panel in the glove box, can stick or go bad internally.  The
rectifier diodes in the lamp motors can short out and give a variety of
problems.  These include failure to raise or shut and continuous operation.

My TR-7 is a 1980 convertible with 73K on it.  I am the third owner and I
bought it four years ago with 62K.  After undoing the "repairs"
made by the last owner it has been perfectly reliable.  In fact, I just got
back from a 500 mile trip in it.  This included highway driving at 75 and
some pretty rough country roads, too.  The car was great; a comfortable ride,
no leaks in a severe thunderstorm, and 32 MPG.

I really can't say enough good about this Triumph.  I do all of my own work
and it is a very simple car to repair and maintain.  It is a quiet car.  It
doesn't have any rattles.  Parts are easy to get.  It handles superbly.  It
still looks as modern as tomorrow.

A few hints when looking for a used one:  These are unit body cars so any
badly rusted areas should be very carefully inspected before purchase.  Minor
rust is common just forward of the front wheels.  The ignition system, if it
is the Lucas Electronic, should be changed immediately.  The five speed
gearbox oil should be drained and re-filled with GM Synchromesh oil.  This
last is VERY important!!!
And don't be alarmed by a rumble from the back end when decelerating from 60
or so; it is not uncommon and is more of an annoyance than anything else.

I hope that this info is useful to you and sheds a different light on a car
that has been much (and unfairly) maligned.  Happy BC Motoring!

Jim Finn