Paint HELP!

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paint HELP!
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 94 09:58:23 CDT
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(Paint HELP!) File(SEP01941.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 09-01-1994 .. 00:09:45
HELP!

I need some more NET wisdom please!

I been working on fixin up my newest toy - '75 MGB.

THe engine and tranny are out and all Ive got to occupy my
time for the moment is body work.

I've been going around fixing little dents and dings in preparation
for  a real paint job in the near future.

What I am trying to do is sand down enought to remove any rust,
repair the whole/dent/whatever. Then spray on primer and
paint to seal up the repair while I'm waiting for the paint job.

The problem is with the painting.
Granted I'm just using cans of primer from the auto parts store
but after sanding and feathering the old paint, I spray on
a coat of the primer.
WELL, I might as well be spraying on paint remover.
The top layer of old paint just bubbles up and peals away.
That requires more sanding, more glazing, more paint (bigger
spot now) and it does it agian.

THis is happening at the top coating of paint.
The car seems to have been repainted a couple of times,
I can see at least three different color layers each with
a primer layer between.

The TOP color layer is the one peeling off.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!!

I mean there must be a way to repair a small ding without
sanding off the whole top layer of paint on an entire body
pannel!!!

Is it the cheap canned spray primer (I've tried several differnt
brands).  Am I missing some preperatory step?
Am I too impatient (should I let the sanded spot sit for
a few days before I spray on the primer?)

OR

Is it as I suspect that whoever painted the car prevoiosly
didn't let their primer coat finish gassing off before they
top coated it, sealing in the uncured primer. So that now
when I expose it, it act like paint thinner and loosens
the top coat.

HELP

Louis Poche' _ POCHE@music.loyno.edu