CD 150's on my spit/6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: CD 150's on my spit/6
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 1994 14:46:39 -0400
        I've managed to create a problem with Spit/6.  Both of the
Bi-metalic  temperature compensator things were adjusted by the P.O.
of the engine.  I was able find another one (i needed two) which
seems to have not been molested.  So I tried to adjust one of two I
had similarly.  Unfortunately, now my car seems to die when the
throttle plates snapped shut - like if you blipped the throttle.  It
didn't do it before I messed with temp compensators (i had them
clamped shut before).  So, my theory is that the temp compensators
are leaning out the mixture too much.  This weak mixture won't burn
when the combustion pressure is too low, hence I have pretty good
idle but the engine dies when I snap the throttle plates shut
(creating a high vacuum).
        Now most of you are saying, just clamp the stupid things back
down and forget about it.  I guess that is the fall back position.  But
I think there is a chance compensators are now working properly and
they have uncovered a problem with the throttle plate bypass valves
(which also appear to have been adjusted).  If they weren't opening
I could get a very high vacuum.  Perhaps the weaker idle mixture of
the emission carbs is very sensitive to high manifold vacuum and
consequently proper idling depends on these bypass valves???
        Opinions?  Did anybody keep Randy's explanation of
how to adjust the bypass valves?

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu