Re: Bodge, bodge, bodge

To: vernk@carver.DataFlux.BC.CA (Vern Klukas)
Subject: Re: Bodge, bodge, bodge
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 1994 15:22:13 -0400
        Vern Writes:

++> was also great for dealing with passengers who criticized your
++> driving...just hand them the wheel and say "Here, you drive." Shut 'em up
++> everytime.

        I'd say so...

        I don't have really good bodge story as I have always been one of those
'perfectionist' people.  On the other hand, I have helped others create a few
bodges along the way.  My friend had rebuilt the engine in his Fiat 850 and made
the classic mistake of not putting in the oil drain plug.  The car was parked on
grass and he didn't notice the oil he'd been trying add all over the ground.  Of
course the engine started beautifully and the oil light went off (I guess it
was
fate) he turned his attention to the carb.  For some strange reason the idle
kept
slowing down (I'm adding a little here) and he kept on trying to speed it up.
Finally
the engine seized.  Enter me...  we tried to break the engine free with a number
of long pipes, wrenches and hammers, but no luck.  Finally I got my big
Oldsmobile
and I pushed the little Fiat up to 40 mph or so when My friend dumped the
clutch.
After we did this a FEW times the engine finally broke free with the most
horrid metal to metal screeching you've ever heard.  I hate to say it, but that
engine ran perfectly for years (never burned oil) for years until he sold it.

--
William Woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor MI