Re: It's begun

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: It's begun
From: "A1::AMCLE"@mda.ca
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 94 10:05:10 PDT
From:   NAME: Alex McLellan
        FUNC: MDA/CAATS
        TEL: (604) 231-3054                   <AMCLE@A1@CATM>
To:
"british-cars@autox.team.net"@mdavcr@galaxy@hobbes@psi%mda.2@mrgate@catm01

On
Date:   Thu, 1 Sep 1994 21:36:30 PDT,  Chris Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>

wrote on the following Subject: it's begun (A series questions at the end...)

<sad story deleteds>

>The first question: the noise. My current guess is that it's timing chain
>clatter. As far as I can tell, the A series doesn't have a tensioner, right? So
>if the chain stretches, you replace it. Does the chain stretch often? Does this
>seem a likely cause of an irregular clatter? Am I asking for trouble trying to
>replace the chain without removing the engine? Is there a spec for how tight
>the
>chain must be?

The first question should be:

        "how do I improve the braking to cope with the extra
         nippiness and the modern driving habits I have picked up"

The picture of the timing chain in my workshop manual doesn't show a
chain tensioner. There is no quoted spec for chain tightness in the manual
for either the 948 or the 1098 "A" series. Manual says to remove
radiator before doing timing chain, but doesn't say to remove engine.

It is sometimes possible to locate a noise using a long piece of wood.
Stick one end of the wood in your ear, and put the other end at the various
possible sources of the noise. Where the noise is loudest gives a clue to
the source of the noise.

I've had several A series engines from 803 to 1098, and none had timing
chain problems. If the chain and/or the cogs are worn, could it be detected
by seeing how much free play there is? Maybe turn the crankshaft
backwards and forwards and see whether the pushrods move? Thinking about
it a bit more, it's pretty easy to remove the timing chain cover.

I suspect sfisher will solve the problem in no time!

Good luck with the Morris.

Regards
Alex