Mini 35

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Mini 35
From: Daniel Cunliffe <daniel@hgu.mrc.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 1994 20:04:22 +0100
Mini 35th Birthday Party - Part 1 of 3

A journey of discovery shared by myself and Lucy a 1983 Mini City (998cc).

So Saturday dawned, bright and sunny and my extensive pre-trip preparations
began - nice big cup of coffee. I bought oil, filled plastic bottles with
water, removed some junk from the car (old starter motor etc) and made sure
I had my ticket.

Before embarking on such a long trip (around 400 miles each way) I would
of course need to check the condition of my vehicle. I opened the door to
be greeted my a torrential down-pour, so resorted to my emergency quick
check-list...

Colour? Yellow.

OK let's go!

Event 1: The quantum noise - an odd knocking emerging from under the rear,
defies all attempts at observation, occurs only when driving, so ignore it.

Event 2: Found I'd left my enormous bar of chocolate at home.

Event 3: Realised that I need to attend to my wiper motor at some point
when it is dryer (and therefore I won't remember), as they wipe almost as far
as the wing mirrors.

Event 4: BANG! Oh dear (or words to that effect) a sudden misfire - OK damp
Lucas electricals (all placed at the front of the engine behind that
decorative grill), ignore it.

Event 5-7: Splutter. See Event 4 (driving through hail storms at this point).
Not the greatest of fun on the motorway!

Event 8: Spotted an MG Roadster, cream with red ragtop broken-down under a
bridge (or may the top was just leaking too much?).

Event 9: WOW! Totally unexpectedly (maps??!!) I found myself driving through
Silverston Village on the third day of the IMM, totally surreal. Imagine you
are driving your favourite lbc and suddenly 95% of the vehicles around you
are the same as yours! In the garage - Minis, in the carpark outside the
pub - Minis, the car behind you - a Mini, behind that - another one..!
The guy infront of me (not in a Mini)  must have thought his car was on fire
by the way myself and everyone around him kept flashing their lights, waving,
and beeping their horns! This is what it is all about :-) Definate warm glow
time :-) This was the best part of my 7 odd hour journey, and there were
Minis all the way into Oxford where I was spending the night...