Re: British Cars Digest #1348 Fri Sep 2 01:15:01 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1348 Fri Sep 2 01:15:01 MDT 1994
From: Graham@irving.demon.co.uk (Graham Glen)
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 1994 01:19:08 GMT
Chris Kantarjiev writes:

> The first question: the noise. My current guess is that it's timing
> chain clatter. As far as I can tell, the A series doesn't have a
> tensioner, right? So if the chain stretches, you replace it. Does the
> chain stretch often? Does this seem a likely cause of an irregular
> clatter? Am I asking for trouble trying to replace the chain without
> removing the engine? Is there a spec for how tight the chain must be?

It's a long while since I've taken one to bits, but looking in the
workshop manual  there is no tensioner shown. Minors are also known for
rattly timing chains.

Replacing the timing chain without removing the engine is very easy in a
Minor, if you remove the radiator grill & radiator as a complete assembly
then you have a nice clear run at the front of the engine.

I hope this helps.

Graham
--
Graham Glen     graham@irving.demon.co.uk       +44 81 871 0228

".. and it always was possible to measure the distance between so-called
management and the so-called creative by the time it took for a memo to go
in one direction and a half-brick to come back in the other."
        Dennis Potter