Implications of wrong TR6 distributor?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Implications of wrong TR6 distributor?
From: mike@twinpeaks.prc.com (Mike Ladwig)
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 10:49:15 -0500
Well, the more closely I look at my car, the worse I feel...

My car is titled as a '75.  It has a late (recessed) block, and carbs and
head from a '74.

This weekend's discovery is that the distributor is apparently from a '71!
It has the number 41352B stamped on the case, and according to the Bentley
manual and the Moss motors catalog, that should be on a '71.

I've taken the distributor apart, cleaned it, and put it back together...it
seems to be in reasonably good condition (shaft not wobbling as I had
feared).  What implications does this have for the rest of the car?  Should
the ignition timing be set for a '71 or a '74?  Should the carbs use
needles calibrated to '71 specs?  The '71 and '74 cams aren't the same,
either...

Thanks in advance for help and advice; I could really use some...

mike.