Re: Morris engine numbers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Morris engine numbers
From: TVRVixen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 94 22:11:46 EDT
>Flemming Larsen                       flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu asked:
>The vehicle registration plate on my 1964 Lotus Seven has the
>engine number: 8G19RS2364B

>That number did not match the number of the 948cc A-series >engine which was
in the Seven when I bought it.

>As far as I know, all 948cc engines were numbered either 9C or 9CG.

>Does the 8G number match the serial number of an A-Series 803cc engine?

This is my second reply to this question. In my first reply I told you that I
have an A series motor with an 8G serial number.  I called the guy I bought
it from and he said it came out of a 67 Sprite.  It should therefore have a
10CC serial number.  He mentioned to me that all A-series short engine, as
listed in the parts book, have 8G prefixes on the part number.

Morris Minor engine part numbersare #s   8G9, 8G25, 8G8, or 8G24 for the 948
and so on.  Even the 1275 engines have 8G numbers.

I think that the 8G150 prefix on my block and the 8G19 on your number plate
are the part numbers of a BMC short engine assembly and the numbers following
the prefix are a serial number.  Unfortunately I don't have a BMC Mechanical
Parts Book for the 948 or 1098 Sprite so I can't confirm this.

The serial number prefixes such as 9CG indicate the brand car into which the
engine was being installed.  Since Lotus was buying motors, they bought them
from the BMC  Parts and Service Division. They wouldn't have known when the
engine was built what car it was going into..  The motor I have was probably
installed into the Sprite under warranty as a complete unit and so it has a
number plate like the one your engine should have had.

Anyone on this group have a BMC Mechanical Parts Book for the 948 or 1098
Sprite?
Could you check to see if the part numbers 8G19 and 8G150 are for 948 and
1098 short engine assemblies?

Thanks, Don