Re: Colo[u]rTune and idle mixture

To: Brad Richards <british-cars-request@triumph.cs.utah.edu>,
Subject: Re: Colo[u]rTune and idle mixture
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 94 15:04:15 EDT
> I just bought myself a ColourTune, and spent some time this weekend
> playing with it.  It showed my idle to be too rich, and I set about
> leaning the idle mixture in search of the elusive "Bunsen blue".  Un-
> fortunately, the idle got VERY lumpy before I got to blue.  What should
> this be telling me?

That there is more than one adjustment involved, or perhaps you have one
cylinder that runs really rich...

I was using a ColourTune to set the idle mix on a 1500cc Datsun engine,
which is kinda-sorta-a-little-british-in-terms-of-heritage... and the
same general thing happened - the thing is, I had to iterate between the
throttle stop and the idle mix about 5 times to get the right mix.
Just turning the idle mix screw was NOT enough... each time I got close to
the right mix, the idle speed would fall out of spec, so I had to goose
the idle up a bit, then go back to the mixture screw. That car has run
GREAT ever since...

--
---
John R. Lupien