TR6 runs well but very hard to start ?????

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 runs well but very hard to start ?????
From: "E.C. SHORT" <V064M8TX@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 1994 23:12:17 -0400 (EDT)
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the problem I've been
 having with my TR6.  I have the down-draft Webers on a completely
 rebuilt engine.  At first the car wasn't running as I had hoped, but
 it always started fairly easily.  So I took it to a local mechanic
 who races a TR250.  He tuned the carbs so that the car now runs great!
 The problem is it is now very difficult to start!  I don't want to mess
 with the carb settings because it runs so well once it has been started.
 Here are the symptoms:

   * Starting the car is only difficult when It hasn't been started for
     more than half a day.  If I drive it to work, say, it is not hard
     to start when I drive home.  But that first time of the day -
     regardless of the temperature it is very difficult to start...

   * When it is reluctant to start it will turn over about sixty timere
     is no spark at the plugs.  Needless to say this is a huge drain on
     my battery. So I have got to get to the bottom of this.
   * When it finally starts it starts very quickly - as though there was
     no problem at all - except for a huge cloud of black smoke that leads
     me to think that it is not a fuel delivery problem.

 Does anyone have any ideas?

 Here are some thoughts of mine:
    -seems to be getting fuel, has a new MECHANICAL fuel pump.
    -one of the only things not rebuilt or replaced on the engine was the
     alternator ... I know zip about the electrical system
    -the needle on my ammeter swings from side to side as the engine runs
    -could it be an electrical problem?

 Any help will be greatly appreciated.
                                        --   Ed Short