Spridget race teams in 6Hr Relay race this weekend

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spridget race teams in 6Hr Relay race this weekend
From: Mike Gigante <mg@cgl.citri.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 12:12:18 +1000
This weekend 17/18 Sep, the Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Australia (Vic
div) has organised the annual six hour relay race.

My club (Austin Healey Sprite Drvers' Club of Vic [AHSDC]) has two
teams entered. We are teams #1 and #2.

I am in "Team BLAT" (Brake Late And Turn) along with Owen Crombie
(stockish midget on radials), Leanne Potter (v. v. hot Mk IIA 1100cc
on slicks), Mike Trathen in his in-progress race car (new suspension,
slicks, but stock motor), Peter Brice (very sweet Mk IIA, mild 1100cc,
race radials). I am in my Fluoro red/white hot 1275 on race radials.
FYI, "blat" is also (local?) slang for fast driving, i.e. "Feel like
going for a blat up to Lake Mountain?"

The other team is "Roofless Racing" and comprises Christine Crombie
(v. hot 1275cc on slicks), Jeff Smith (v. hot 1275 on slicks), and
Brendan Beacon (ditto). I think I've left someone out of that team!

The race is at Winton Raceway (2.5 hrs north of Melbourne), a tight
track well suited to spridgets.  There will be all sorts of cars at
the race, (everything from HQ Holden sedans to Club Porche, hot Z cars
etc), so it will be quite interesting. For Leanne, Peter and I, it is
our first 6 Hr race.

We have practice/qual on Sat and the Race on Sunday. Part of the
tradition is a huge food fest at the King Wah restaurant in Benalla on
Sat night. We have lots of club people helping out at the race, it is
a really great race/social event.

Some of us (Jeff, Peter, Brendan and I) are also going to the AROCA
(NSW) 6 Hr race at Eastern Creek (near Sydney) in late October, but
that is another story...

I'll have a report after the weekend!

Mike