TR-6 luggage rack -- odd style?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-6 luggage rack -- odd style?
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 10:33:33 -0400
I have a set of holes, and different colored-paint on my trunk lid,
from where a luggage rack had been fitted at one time.  I still have
the luggage rack (it was supplied by the PO), but it was taken off
because the chrome on it has rusted pretty badly.  The trunk lid is in
good shape, other than the many (22) holes, and the paint mismatch
from where the rack used to be.  The luggage rack is a style different
from that in the TRF/Moss/VB catalogs.

At this point, I have three options:

  1) try to find an identical luggage rack for sale (new or used), and
     mount it in the old holes.

  2) try to sand, and repaint the luggage rack with "chrome" paint.
     (Does the chrome paint work?  It may not matter, as I even doubt
     the luggage rack has enough good metal left to be salvageable.)

  3) fill all the old holes somehow, and repaint the trunk lid.  If I
     then want a luggage rack, I'll have to buy the model now being
     sold by TRF/Moss/VB.

Any suggestions?  I would probably most like to find and buy an
identical luggage rack, as the other two options both involve an awful
lot of work.  However, I don't know where to look.  I was hoping that
if I described the rack, somebody else would have some suggestions as
to where to who may have made it, or where to get one.

I'll try a verbal description, and follow that up later with an ASCII
rendition if I must.  (My ASCII art is not up to the standards of many
other creative list members... :-) )

The rack has four chrome strips that are screwed directly to the trunk
lid, to form the "floor" of the luggage rack.  Each of these chrome
strips is separated from the trunk lid by a rubber strip that runs the
length of the chrome strip.  Additionally, a smaller rubber strip sets
in a wide groove on top of the chrome strip, so that luggage does not
damage the chrome.  At either end of the chrome strip, a special
rubber piece (mostly triangular) fits onto the end of the chrome
strip, to bevel down to the trunk surface.  Each of the chrome/rubber
strip assemblies is held on by four self-tapping screws, all arranged
on the centerline of the strip, with one pair of two at the front end,
and one pair of two at the back end of the strip.

The sides of the rack are three bars, with mounting points, and
corresponding drop bars, at the four corners of the rack area.  Each
of the two mounting points towards the rear of the car are fastened to
the trunk lid by two screws arranged in an oval chrome piece, which,
like the chrome strips, is separated from the trunk lid by a rubber
piece sized and shaped to match.  Each of the two mounting points
towards the front of the car are held in by a single screw going into
the end of a drop bar, with an appropriate circular rubber piece
separating the bar from the trunk lid.

Has anybody else seen such a rack?  Any idea where I can buy one?  The
rack reminds me of ones I commonly see on MGs, where the luggage rack
is built by screwing strips on to the trunk lid, rather than with a
raised framework luggage rack such as TRF/Moss/VB sell.

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631