Re: Crank treatments

To: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@Vela.ACS.Oakland.Edu>
Subject: Re: Crank treatments
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 17:00:17 -31702 (PDT)
On Wed, 21 Sep 1994, Paul Amaranth wrote:

> but what is nitriding?  Any others?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)

Paul, I had a comment about nitriding.  It is surrounding the metal in a
nitrogen rich environment at elevated temperatures.  It is a case
hardening process similar to carbon case hardening.  In fact, one of my
Materials Science professors showed me a book recently that outlined a
nitriding process for hardening steel swords.
        You take a black goat, feed it a strict diet of some kind of
straw and water for 3 days, collect the urine of the goat, and quench
your red-hot sword in it.  Since this book was several hundred years old, It
didn't say why this works, but actually urine is very rich in nitrogen.
        So how does this apply to you?    Well I'll tell you what you do,
tell your machine shop to find a goat......

                Greg Meboe   Meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
                Dept of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                Washington State University Pullman Wa.
                '67 Spit-6   '74 TR-6