Re: Bites, Gugs and Klass

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bites, Gugs and Klass
From: Duncan Bryan <bryan@Roborough.gpsemi.COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 08:28:02 +0100
Christopher Ball wrote:
Wake up !  Smell the coffee ! Take a long hard look at the car.
This is the Brit Car version of the Emperor's Cloths my man.

My man? You know I cannot remember when I last heard someone say
my man. Apart from just then.

In fact this is true for a lot of allegedly common British phrases.
We do NOT say things like:
My man, there's a good chap, I say, do you mind, pass the port old chap

We do not even string these phrases into sentences such as
I say, my man, do you mind; pass the port old chap, there's a good chap
har har har.

The only criticism I'll accept is that as a nation we do tend to talk
incessantly about the weather.

Actually the British car closest to the Emperor's new clothes was the
Austin Allegro. A true triumph ( excuse the pun ) of engineering over
common sense. It boasted a quartic ( square ) steering wheel in thunderbirds
style, an engine with a throaty... cough and as much get up and go as an
M.E sufferer on a bad day.

Anyway, British car content to message....

Has anyone out there, with a drum brake mini, ever swapped the hubs for the
later
disc brake version? I'm toying with the idea of ditching the drums. They're not
bad,
but I hate adjusting them.  Several people have said don't bother the braking
force is reduced. Anyone been down this path?  Marcel perhaps? What are the
pitfalls?
Presumably the ball joints are the same and the arms are the same.

I say old chap. chin chin. Wonderful weather for the time of year don't you
think...
Oh yes, we tend to speak in the negative. No we don't. I don't agree. Nonesense.

Yours faithfully,
Mr Nigel Herringbone Smythe Cholmondley-Warner   No I'm not.

Duncan.

PS. Why do some Americans call British people Limeys?