Brit Heaters

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Brit Heaters
From: Bwfox@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 11:21:34 EDT
Re the Brit heater thread;

My first BritCar which I bought in 1966 was a 64 TR4.  I drove that thing
through two
NH winters.  The heater had which I now realize is a binary heater.  Either
full on and
roasting or off and freezing.  Did not seem to be any way to modulate the
heatlevel.
It certainly could warm up the interior, atleast up to ones waist, but
depending on how
many air leaks the top had, it was usually cold at shoulder level.  And it
had marginal
defogging capabilities.  Absolutely no chance of melting ice.  Used to drive
around the
air force base with the window down scraping ice off the windscreen.

The present TR4A, has the same heater characteristics, but doesn't quite make
it up
to waist height. Maybe the core is clogged.  It does not defog, much less
melt ice.  Of
course I do not drive it often in the winter, and definately not when it is
snowing/sleeting.

I once owned a 67 Jag 420 which for a car its size and reputation, had the
world's worst
heating/ventilation system.  I could never get it to make heat.  My mechanic
could, but
could not get it to shut off!  So I drove it for one winter with the heat on
full blast and
ran the windows up and down to keep from roasting  :^).  It would sorta/kinda
melt ice.

But hey, its all part of the fun.  What else would we have to complain about?
 (lets see,
the carbs, electrics, wire wheel, etc).  Put the top down,  put the tonneau
up with the
driver's side open and hit the road, letting the feeble warmth toast your
tootsies.

Cheers,

Barry Fox        Bwfox@aol.com            65 TR4A  CT51681L