Re: Sand blast vs. Chemical dip question

To: ALEXANDERM%UTAV@utrcgw.utc.com
Subject: Re: Sand blast vs. Chemical dip question
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 14:00:23 -0400
Mark Alexander writes:

> Subject: Sand blast vs. Chemical dip question
>

> Greetings,
> I am a recent Internet (and SOL) newcomer.  This summer I swapped a
>motorcycle
> for a 67 MGB.

Congratulations on your recent purchase, and welcome to the
british-cars list!

> I have removed the drivetrain, all suspension, and outer sheet metal
> (doors, hood, front fenders,etc).  Yes I am crazy, but I am in no
> hurry to complete the project and I really wanted to see what was left
> to work with.

If you didn't take lots of pictures, and really good notes when doing
this, it would be a good idea to write down everything you can
remember now before any more time goes by.  Whenever you take a piece
off, immediately look at how it goes back on.  Then, put it down, pick
it back up, and try to put it back on.  Simple things like "which side
of this bracket faces up?  Which end goes where? that seem very
intuitive during disassembly, become extremely difficult to figure out
upon re-assembly, even with a Shop Manual, and a good (dis)assembly
catalog such as the ones from Moss/TRF/VB.

>  Why do people put brand new fenders on over a rusted out hulk ?  Why
> rocker covers over nothing but a few threads of rotted metal ?  Steel plating
> for floors ?  Sheesh, new metal floors are only about $40.00 apiece.

Ignorance, I hope.

> Right now though I am considering whether or not to blast off the old rust
>and
> paint (one coat of original green, one coat of yucchy creamy yellow), or dip
>the
> whole shell in some type of chemical bath.  Sand blasting I have done and
>could
> do...

I feel strongly that abrasive sanding (grinder, or sander) is the
right method for paint removal on large panels.  Sand blasting can
easily bend or warp large flat panels (bonnet, fenders, doors, trunk).
Dips work well for entirely dissassembled panels, but wherever there
are joints, dip remains just as sand does.  The sand simply interferes
with smooth paint finish, but the dip is even worse, in my opinion, in
that everything will look fine when the paint goes on, but the paint
will not adhere properly where any dip remains underneat, and will
soon be prone to bubbling or lifting.

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631