Re: British Cars Digest #1380 Wed Sep 28 01:00:23 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1380 Wed Sep 28 01:00:23 MDT 1994
From: Graham@irving.demon.co.uk (Graham Glen)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 08:50:59 GMT
In message mws1@admin01.osi.COM (Matt Silveira x257) writes:

> Anyway, these Buick engines are rare since not too many units went into
> production.  To make them fit you need a special intake (either for an
> SU configuration or a low profile for American 4 barrel down-draft.)
> Also, special headers, coolant lines, etc.  And, don't forget, a tranny
> adaptor!
>
> [ stuff deleted]
>
> Incidentally, I don't think you'll gain all that much. . .  The Buick
> aluminum block was strong for the '60's but it is not up to spec for
> today.  I would suggest at looking at a more modern V-6 swap.

At the risk of starting a flamefest here....

Although this engine may be rare in the US, in the UK it's very common.

As for strength, apart from the production vehicles that still use it, I
see this engine used extensively for racing in capacities up to 5000cc. I
only remember one car fitted with one (a Datsun 260Z) having a blowup -
it threw a rod at the start of a hill climb course and went steaming up
the track to the first bend where it was red flagged. I've even seen some
people racing Lotus/Caterham 7's fitted with this engine.

Graham
--
Graham Glen     graham@irving.demon.co.uk       +44 81 871 0228

".. and it always was possible to measure the distance between so-called
management and the so-called creative by the time it took for a memo to go
in one direction and a half-brick to come back in the other."
        Dennis Potter