TR6 misses fixed!!! (was Re: Midget misses at 55-60mph)

To: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Subject: TR6 misses fixed!!! (was Re: Midget misses at 55-60mph)
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 1994 11:40:56 -0400
Marcus writes:

> Any ideas what it may be. I've been half following the TR6 missing
> story....  what was the deal there??

Well, today is the first day that I've really been sure that the TR6
missing problem has gone away.  I was pretty sure that the fix I had
made at the end of last week fixed the problem, but today was the
first time I drove the car under the circumstances that were causing
the most problems.

What was the problem?  Well, it seems that my problem may have been a
new one, as nobody actually suggested I check what it turned out to
be.  (On the other hand, it was in the process of checking all the
other things that people *did* suggest I check that I happened to
notice the problem... :-) :-))

The problem was that undesirable play in the "spindle coupling" (the
part connecting the folded spring couplings to the throttle control
rod) was causing my rear carb throttle shaft to get about 25 degrees
less rotation than the front carb.  This would give an over-rich
mixture to the rear carb, which, at highway speeds under
non-acceleration, on a not-fully warmed up engine, would cause
occasional misses.  At any other time, the too-rich mixture was still
ignitable, although probably burning much too much fuel.

The problem I had with finding this is that the problem is only
apparent when the throttle is depressed, so it was undetectable at
idle.

And gee, I never realized until this morning just how *much* power
the TR6 has between 60 and 70mph!

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631